Earlier this week, the Copperas Cove Fire Department saved the life of a dog after rescuing it from a house fire in Copperas, Texas. The fire was caused by a space heater left on in the garage while the owner of the house was not home. Luckily the firefighters arrived on the scene and they were able to save the dog who almost suffocated from the heat and the smoke.
According to the investigators, a space heater was the cause of the fire. Ironically, the device was used to keep the dogs of the house warm from the cold winter nights and mornings, but the device malfunctioned and caused a fire. The owner had kept the dogs in the garage to keep them warm, but the closed space meant that the smoke could not escape. The Copperas Cove firefighters responded to the fire around late Thursday morning. They were able to rescue one of the dogs and administer CPR to save its life.
“I know that everyone wants to keep their dogs warm, but just be very cautious about blankets and stuff and hazardous stuff around the heaters turn them off if you’re not going to be home,” said home and pet owner Jacob Loeffelholz. The garage was severely damaged by the fire and the house was ruined by the smoke, but at least one life was saved. The dog is currently being treated by the vet and reportedly doing well, much to the relief of his owner, Loeffelholz.